About Walthamstow Avenue
Walthamstow Avenue Football Club
Nickname(s) The “A’s”
Ground Green Pond Road Stadium
Walthamstow Avenue Football Club was an English football club based in Walthamstow in London.
Founded in 1900, the club was a member of the Athenian League from 1929 to 1939 and champions on five occasions. They joined the Isthmian League in 1945 and were champions on three occasions and runners-up six times before in 1988, being absorbed by Leytonstone/Ilford to form Redbridge Forest, a precursor to Dagenham & Redbridge. They also won the FA Amateur Cup in 1952 and 1961. They played at Green Pond Road Stadium until their demise.
Avenue has the distinction of being one of the first clubs to feature on television. The date was March 1951, when they played a televised friendly match against the famous Glasgow amateur side Queens Park who won the game 2-0, courtesy of a Derek Grierson double. They also played Manchester United at Manchester in the FA Cup Fourth Round in the 1952-53 season, drawing 1-1 (Jimmy Lewis scoring the goal). The replay took place at Highbury, which Manchester United won 5-2.
A modern-day Walthamstow Avenue was formed on what would have been the original Walthamstow Avenue’s centenary anniversary in 2000. Playing at Town Mead in Waltham Abbey, they competed London County Football League for three seasons. They then moved to the Middlesex County Football League for season 2003/04, before merging with Walthamstow Pennant who played in the same league. After two seasons together, in 2007 the club had internal differences and Pennant moved on to merge with Mauritius Sports. The club is currently dormant once again.
(All of the above from Wikipedia)